Makerworld - Fall - 10 weeks Instruction
Location: Niles STEAM Room, 2601 N. 5th Street, Niles, MI 49120
Lessons: 10 lessons per semester / 2 hours per lesson+time on your own opposite weeks on Saturdays from 10-3
Day/Time: Saturdays 10:00 - 12:00 AM or 1:00 - 3:00 PM Beginning Sept 3 for first semester and Feb 4 for 2nd semester.
Ages/Grades: Ages 10 and older must have the ability to work on their own.
Maximum Enrollment: 8 students
Cost: Families will be responsible for paying this Community Expert only for the expenses of materials not covered in the course.
Gail has a Master’s degree in Business Administration and has enjoyed teaching learners of all ages for over 40 years. Subjects taught include; 3d printing, art, Bible, cake decorating, entrepreneurship, laser printing, sewing and more. As a homeschool mom of 4, she actively sought ways to nurture the maker in her own children. She enjoys seeing learners engage in discovery and taking that discovery to new heights in their own lives. She is a lifelong learner and maker herself and strives to pass on the knowledge she has acquired to others. It is her desire that every child she encounters understands their worth and the power they have over their achievements.
The makerworld is an exciting world. I invite you to come join me on a journey of self-discovery. Everyone has a bit of maker created inside of them. It is my privilege to help you uncover your maker gifts. This class will give you the opportunity to learn how to use tools and equipment available in the Niles STEAM Room makerspace. This is a self-directed course with you in the driver’s seat. You choose what equipment you want to use and what projects you want to complete. I will come alongside you to encourage and inspire you. You will have the opportunity to take your skills to the next level in this class or future classes, by choosing to explore entrepreneurship and sell your creations. The following are just a few of the tools and resources available, laser cutter, 3d printers, vinyl cutters, sewing machines, pottery wheels, resin molds, jeweler making tools and glass slumping.
Each student will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their learning by completing their self-directed, student choice projects.
Your maker creations will be showcased on our website and on Facebook. No student names will be published without written consent of your parents. Then, only first names will be publicly posted.
- Week 1 (Sept 3/Feb 4) - Discovering and trying out Tools
- Week 2 (Sept 17/Feb 18) - Discovering and trying out Tools
- Week 3 (October 1/March 4) - Choosing your path
- Week 4 (October 15/March 18) - Working with your tool(s)
- Week 5 (October 29/April 1) - Choosing your project(s)
- Week 6 (November 12/April 15) - Creating your project(s)
- Optional (November 19 optional due to Thanksgiving) - Creating your project(s)
- Week 7 (Dec 3/April 29 ) - Creating your project(s)
- Week 8 (Dec 17/May 13) - Creating your project(s)
- Week 9 (Jan 7/May 27) - Creating your project(s)
- Week 10(Jan 21/June 10) - Finishing off your projects and planning for the future
- ***Learners may opt to come in on off weeks to work more on their projects or make up days.
Criteria for a “Pass” grade:
- 80% attendance (10 classes)
- Active participation while attending
- Complete At least one project with every tool you learn. to publicly display